Introduction and Support Notes
Thank you for purchasing an ergonomic Vertical docking solution. Once installed, we hope you will enjoy the improved ergonomics of workstation for years to come. Please read the directions carefully.
Our solution is offered in three different packages:
- a basic option where customers use their own Microsoft OEM dock electronics and their own VESA arm to mount the Vertical dock
- an option where Microsoft OEM dock electronics are pre-installed for an additional cost
- an option that includes pre-installed Microsoft OEM dock electronics and a dual VESA arm to mount a monitor and your Vertical dock at a comfortable eye-level
Install directions differ slightly across these three packages and different industry-standard VESA monitor arms and mounts. Based on customer feedback, we are continuously improving the usablity of our products and the install experience. If you encounter any difficulties, please send us a note including photos of any issue and we'll help step you through it. We offer USA-based email support with 24-hour response time but will be happy to have quick phone calls/Skype chats for folks that need a little more help. If you have no experience installing a computer monitor or laptop on a movable VESA arm, it can be challenging. If you need local assistance from an IT technician, we can refer you to a someone in your area to help.
We are a family startup business in Seattle and are familiar with the difficulty of balancing full-time office jobs, children, and hobbies. We design our products with this in mind and hope to make your life easier. We appreciate any and all feedback, so don't hesitate to reach out out if you have suggestions on how we can improve.
- Allow your Vertical dock to come to room temperature prior stepping through the install process if it has been sitting in a cold mail locker or door step. This will make the rest of the install process safer and easier.
- Your Vertical dock may include neodymium magnets and small parts that are extremely harmful or fatal if swallowed. Please keep unassembled product away from children and pets.
- Philips (+) #0 screwdriver (#1 screwdriver may work but may be a tight fit on the smaller screws)
- Required: Microsoft OEM Dock electronics (brick-style dock) with power supply and AC/Mains power cord. If you purchased a Vertical dock model with electronics, this will be pre-installed and a power cord and power supply will be included in the box.
- Required: VESA monitor arm/mount with 100mm x 100mm mounting plate fastened securely. If you purchased a Vertical dock model with a dual VESA monitor arm/mount, it will be shipped with separate install directions. It is crucial that you pay attention to the manufacturer's directions on fastening your VESA monitor arm/mount properly to your desk for safety reasons. The directions below assume that your VESA monitor arm/mount is already installed securely
- Recommended: monitor, keyboard, mouse/trackball, monitor cables, and active mini-DisplayPort monitor adapters as needed
Vertical Surface Dock Installation Steps:
- Unpack the Vertical dock from its protective bubble-wrap and sleeve. Inside is the main Vertical dock body and the hardware mounting/accessory kit:
- Depending on the model ordered, protective paper may cover much of the product. Unless you intend to return the product unused, wait until the Vertical dock has come to room temperature and peel the paper off both sides. If the paper is difficult to peel, you can use a hair dryer on the lowest temperature setting to heat up the paper and adhesive so it is easier to peel:
Open the hardware/accessory kit and take note of the parts:
- 1 MS OEM dock electronics cage
- 2 short VESA bars with pre-installed M4 nuts (if the nuts are not pre-installed, check the bag to make sure they haven't dislodged due to vibration during shipping)
- 1 or 2 long VESA bars with pre-installed M4 nuts (if the nuts are not pre-installed, check the bag to make sure they haven't dislodged due to vibration during shipping)
- 4 M4x14mm screws (these may arrive pre-threaded on the VESA bars or separate in the bag)
- Some models include a spring-loaded security hinge mechanism that needs to be installed
- 5 or 9 #4 1/2" screws (9 are included in models that require the separate security hinge mechanism to be installed
- 1 or 2 plastic cable-ties
- spare screws
- If your Vertical dock model included a separate spring-loaded security hinge mechanism, fit the mechanism in place and secure with 4 included #4 1/2" screws. Otherwise skip this step:
- Here is a side-view of the spring-loaded security hinge mechanism for the Surface Pro. Different Vertical dock models have differently shaped hinge mechanisms:
- Gather your MS OEM dock electronics, the Vertical dock cage, and the main Vertical dock body:
- Feed the MS OEM dock connector and cable through the cutout in the Vertical dock cage:
Place the MS OEM dock electronics. Gently bend the cable to clear the edge of the cutout. The MS OEM electronics will fit snuggly within the cage but may not drop in easily at first:
To ease fitment, flip the electronics upside-down and gently apply outward pressure to the left and right edges of the cage. If you need to remove the MS OEM dock electronics later, you can reverse this process. Do not apply too much pressure otherwise you can crack the plastic:
- Dock electronics in cage with cable routed:
- Fit the Surface docking connector into the bottom of the Vertical dock and route the cable in the channel. If you have difficulty fitting the connector, inspect the Vertical dock for debris from the manufacturing process and remove as needed. If difficulty persists, you can dab a drop of vegetable oil on the Vertical dock where the connector fits in:
- Ensure the Surface docking connector is fully seated and protrudes through the top:
- Lay the main dock body and the MS OEM docking electronics plus cage on a flat surface. Use the included #4 1/2" screws to fasten the cage to the main Vertical dock body. Ensure the cage snugs up against the main dock body but do not over-tighten. Over-tightening can crack the plastic:
- Use the provided cable-tie to cinch up the MS OEM dock electronics cable out of the way. Do not cinch the cable too tightly otherwise you may damage the cable:
- Select two VESA retainer bars to fasten the Vertical dock to a VESA monitor arm/mount. The two short bars can be used for vertical docking. To enable horizontal/landscape mode, use one of the longer bars in the top position on the Dock. If two longer bars are provided, use both for best results: The smooth long bar is designed to secure the Surface Pro 3. The bar with an extra notch is designed to secure the Surface Pro 4 or Surface Pro 2017. All models include 4 or more M4x14mm screws and matching nuts:
- Ensure your VESA monitor arm/mount is securly mounted to your desk. Then place 4 M4x14mm screws (included) through the back of your VESA monitor arm 100mm x 100mm mounting plate. The mounting plate shown is just an example and will likely look different than yours:
- To attach the Vertical dock to your VESA monitor arm, carefully hold the Vertical dock and a retainer bar in place while turning the screws from the rear of the VESA monitor arm attachment point to engage the nuts. Having another person to help can make installation easier. Refer to your VESA monitor arm manufacturer owners manual for more specific instructions. While the provided screws have been tested on a variety of VESA monitor arm styles, we can't guarantee they will work for *all* VESA arms. Depending on the thickness of your manufacturer's VESA arm mounting plate, you may need longer screws than what we have provided. (If the screws don't reach far enough, M4x16mm screws from a hardware store may work better. The reason we don't provide longer screws in the box is that if they are used when not needed, they may protrude too far and scratch your Surface device when docking. If you need different screws, send us a note and photo and we'll ship them to you free of charge or credit your account.)
- Here is the final assembly in Vertical-only docking mode:
- Optional: To enable Landscape mounting, swap the top VESA retainer bar for the longer bar. Ensure that the extension-clip portion of the part points to the right. When rotating the Surface into landscape mode, this clip will support the bottom of the Surface. (Note this photo shows an older Dock model that used elastic bands instead of a spring-loaded mechanism to secure the Surface.) Depending on the Vertical dock model ordered, the longer VESA bar may have some lateral adjustment to allow fine-tuning of the fitment. To fine-tune, loosen the M4x14mm screws by 1/2 turn, slide the VESA bar left or right to find the best position, then re-tighten the screws. Make sure to test in both vertical and horizontal mode to ensure you have the fitment correct.
- Recommended: use the Custom screen resolution guide to match the size of Windows UI and applications on your Surface screen to the size on your desktop monitors.
Surface Book 2 Active cooling BETA install instructions
Older model DIY instructions: